Mr Cunningham and his team arrive at Segenhoe

26th April 1827

On 26th April Allan Cunningham and his team arrived at Segenhoe [near town of Scone in the Hunter Valley. ((Source: John Whitehead’s Tracking and Mapping the Explorers)) ((Find out more about John Whitehead and his books)) He had with him six men, eleven horses, and provisions for fourteen weeks. ((Source: Explorers of Australia And Their Life’s Work by Ernest Favenc – Full text located at Project Gutenberg)) He also carried rations for fourteen weeks and instruments of superior construction – a good sextant, a prismatic compass, an artificial horizon, a pocket chronometer, a measuring wheel and a barometer. ((Source: Allan Cunningham Botanist Explorer W G McMinn p78)) ((Source: A Late Tour of A Cunningham Esq page 81 (an extract from Henry Stuart Russell’s The Genesis of Queensland) ))

Possibly, the names of four of the six men who travelled with Allan Cunningham to the Darling Downs are as follows:

  • Simon Meney (Mahoney) via Cambridge September 1827
  • John Lane per Eliza 1822
  • John Smith per Hebe 1820
  • James Swainborough per Surry 1823. ((Source: NSW State Archives  State Records NSW: Colonial Secretary; NSR 962, Copies of Letters sent re Convicts, 6/10/1826 – 14/11/1827; [4/3665 p.256], Fiche 1041; 6th March 1827 Reel 1041 4/3665 NSW State Records. Transcript of document: Letter from Alex McLeay Colonial Secretary to F Hely Principle Superintendent of Convicts requesting shoes and blankets for convicts John Smith (Hebe 1820), James Swanborough (Surry 1823) and John Lane (Eliza 1822) who will accompany Allan Cunningham on scientific exploratory journey, March 1827))